BlogWalsh Mushroom's Latest NewsMushroom Myths

Mushroom Myths


Myth - You should always wash mushrooms before you eat them

Truth - Mushrooms are very absorbent and take up moisture. If you wash them in water they will release the water when you cook them and become slimy. It is best to gently brush off any dirt using a damp cloth or a soft brush.

Myth - Poisonous mushrooms can be identified by their spotted appearance

Truth - Many wild mushrooms are poisonous, not just spotted ones and could be life-threatening. Buy your mushrooms from a reputable grower or grocer rather than hunting for them yourself. 

Myth - Mushrooms are grown underground and in pitch black conditions

Truth - Regular mushrooms actually grow above ground. Miushrooms that grow underground are known as truffles and are one of the worlds' most expensive foods.

Myth - Mushrooms are mostly water and so contain no real goodness

Truth - Mushrooms are made up of 92% water but still contain many nutrients including vitamins B2, B3 and B5. They are also low in fat and calories and count towards your 5 a day.

Myth - Mushrooms are a vegetable

Truth - Mushrooms are in fact a fungi and genetic studies have shown that fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants - although mushrooms are still perfectly acceptable for vegetarians.