300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
500g pack ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
Flour, for dusting
1 egg, beaten
12 tsp pesto sauce
200g grated mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Delicious canapes, perfect for a party!
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 20cm. Use a 9cm plain cutter to stamp out 12 circles (re-rolling the trimmings).
Arrange on 1 or 2 greased baking sheets.
4. On each circle, score a border 1cm from the edge, all the way round, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Brush the border with beaten egg and spread 1 tsp of pesto sauce over the inner circle of each one.
5. Spoon the cooled mushrooms on top of the pesto sauce and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Serve while warm.
Cook’s tip: If you’re making these for a party or buffet, make them in advance then warm them through just before serving.