100g Greek-style natural yoghurt
1 small garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
40g plain flour
400g medium-sized chestnut mushrooms
2 eggs, beaten
100g natural dried breadcrumbs
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
These are a fantastic idea as canapes to entertain your guests, or just a snack to share and enjoy!
1. First of all, make the dip by mixing together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, crushed garlic and parsley. Season with a little black pepper, then set aside.
2. Put the flour into a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms briefly with water, then toss them in the flour (the water helps the flour to stick to them).
3. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with 4 tbsp cold water. Put the breadcrumbs onto a large plate, mixing in the lemon zest. Dip the mushrooms in the beaten egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or wok to a depth of approximately 4cm. When hot, add a few mushrooms and fry until golden brown – about 2-3 minutes – turning occasionally. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Fry the remaining mushrooms in batches until all of them are cooked.
5. Serve hot, with the garlic mayo on the side.
Cook’s tip: If you’re making these for a party, prepare the mayo and mushrooms ahead of time. Place the mushrooms on baking sheets and re-heat them for 5-8 minutes at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.