350g (12oz) closed cup mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, peeled & finely chopped
60-75ml (4-5 tablesp) olive oil
15ml (1 tablesp) fresh rosemary, chopped
15ml (1 tablesp) fresh thyme, chopped
5ml (1 teasp) yeast extract
400g (14oz) can butter beans, drained
½ lemon, juice only
100g (4oz) chopped roasted hazelnuts
45ml (3 tablesp) fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat 30ml (2 tablesp) of the olive oil in frying pan.
2. Fry the mushrooms and onions together until soft. Stir in the rosemary, thyme and yeast extract.
3. Remove from the heat and drain off any liquid.
4. Place about half the mixture into a food processor with the butter beans, lemon juice and enough of the extra olive oil to make a smooth paste.
5. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining mushroom mixture, hazelnuts and parsley. Season to taste.
6. Cover and allow to stand at room temperature for about an hour before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
7. Serve on Melba toast or crackers as a starter or use as a sandwich filling with lots of crisp salad.