1 tbsp olive oil
2 thick slices bread, cut into cubes
4 rashers smoky back bacon, chopped
4 large Portobello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
4 large tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the bread cubes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and cook until crispy, then remove from the pan. Cook the mushrooms gently in the bacon fat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- At the same time, poach the eggs in gently simmering water for 3-4 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are runny.
- Place the mushrooms onto 4 warm serving plates, gills facing up. At this point, add the tomatoes and chives or parsley to the frying pan and cook over a high heat for 30-40 seconds. Return the bacon to the frying pan and heat with the tomatoes for a few more seconds. Season with black pepper, then share between the mushrooms and add the croutons.
- Serve each mushroom with a poached egg on top, sprinkled with a little extra black pepper.