225g (8oz) fresh small-leaf spinach
175g (6oz) streaky bacon
juice ½ lemon
450g (1lb) button mushrooms
15ml (1 tablesp) snipped fresh chives
60ml (4 tablesp) olive oil
15ml (1 tablesp) dry sherry
15ml (1 tablesp) lemon juice
grated lemon rind
pinch caster sugar
pinch dry mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1. Pick over the spinach carefully and remove all stalks. Wash thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
2. Grill the bacon until crisp. Leave to cool then cut into small pieces.
3. Arrange the spinach in a large bowl.
4. Halve the avocado, remove stone and skin and slice thinly. Toss in lemon juice.
5. Arrange avocado slices on the spinach. Add mushrooms, bacon and chives.
6. Whisk the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.