Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
30ml (2 tablesp) olive oil
25g (1oz) butter
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
10ml (2 teasp) fresh thyme
1 red pepper & 1 yellow pepper, sliced
30ml (2 tablesp) plain flour
400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
300ml (½ pint) vegetable stock
150ml (¼ pint) red wine
500g (1lb 2oz) mixed mushrooms, halved or sliced
1 small baguette
50g (2oz) garlic butter
100g (4oz) brie
- Heat the oil and butter together in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry until golden brown.
- Stir in the thyme. Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and wine, stirring all the time, then bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a covered heatproof dish.
- Cut the baguette into 1cm/ ½” slices. Spread with garlic butter and top each piece with a slice of brie.
- Place the baguette slices on top of the mushroom mixture and place under a hot grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts.