8 large flat mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps butter
100g white breadcrumbs
2 tsps dried Italian herbs
6 pork sausages
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
100g strong cheddar cheese, grated
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees c / Gas mark 5.
2. Wipe the mushrooms clean with damp kitchen paper and remove and chop the stalks finely.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped mushroom stalks and onion over a medium heat till soft. (about 6-8 minutes )
4. Add 1 tbsp of the butter to the onion mixture along with the breadcrumbs, dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix well and remove from the heat.
6. Remove the skins from the sausages and add the sausage meat to the breadcrumb mixture.
7. Mix the remaining 1 tbsp of butter with the crushed garlic and add this to the sausage filling.
8. Lightly brush the undersides of the mushrooms with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, season them with salt & pepper and place them on a lightly oiled baking tray.
9. Spoon the sausage mixture evenly onto the mushrooms and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.