8 large flat/breakfast mushrooms
15ml (1 tablesp) oil
50g (2oz) millet
1 large clove garlic, chopped
275g (scant ½ pt) vegetable stock
25ml (5 teasp) port
bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
50g (2oz) fresh cranberries
15ml (1 tablesp) clear honey
40g (1½ oz) margarine
1. Heat oil and cook millet for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
2. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the stock and port.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the millet is tender.
4. Add spring onions and cranberries.
5. Cook for a minute before adding the honey, then season to taste.
6. Arrange the mushrooms on a lightly greased baking sheet. Fill with the cranberry mixture and dot with margarine. Cook in the oven, 190º C, 375º F, Gas no 5 for 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: Do not peel mushrooms or remove their stalks. They keep their shape better and all their nutrition.
TIP: If you have any leftover stuffing and cranberry sauce after Christmas, mix them gently together, spoon onto some mushrooms and cook as above.
There will be good supplies of big open mushrooms and value packs - ideal for this New Year supper or party dish.